Monday, December 17, 2007

Subha Learns to Cook :)

Im just learning to cook post my marriage.I always relished this dish of rice+mysore dal which my MIL cooks.Since my hubby n FIL too like this receipe I made up my mind to learn this over the weekend & asked my MIL to instruct me as I cooked.She being the Mt.Everest of patience guided me extermely well..how I wish she could teach me driving :p
since I have a highly volatile memory I decided to jot things down in this blog so that I can refer it in the future...

Ingredients

1)Rice-3 cups
2)Mysore Dal-1 cup
3)Onion-3 big ones
4)Pudina-a handful
5)Curry Leaves-a handful
6)Green chilly-4
7)Oil-5 table spoons
8)Ghee-1 table spoon
9)Bay leaves-2
10)Garlic
11)Ginger (grated)
12)cardomon
13)elaichi
14)crystal salt -4 tea spoons
15)Cashew nuts

First of all wash the rice & dal just once & drain the water out completely.Pour some oil in the cooker & add the cashew nuts bay leaves,cardomon,elaichi.After about a minute add the grated ginger & the garlic,keep frying for about 2 mintutes.Now add the Sliced onion & keep frying till the onion turns slight brown.Now add the slited green chilly,pudina leaves,curry leaves & crystal salt & mix well.
Keeping mixing well so that things dont get burnt at the bottom of the cooker.Now add the rice+dal & mix them well slowly.Leave for about a minute till you hear/see the rice sputter a little bit at the bottom.Now add about 8 cups of water (3/4 full in the glass).Stir the contents well.cover the cooker and leave it till the steam comes out which would take about 5minutes.Now place the weight over the cooker & allow it to cook till the whistle blows once or for about 15-20 minutes.Allow for a standing time of about 5 minutes.Open the cooker & transfer the contents to the Casserol....Serve it with curds,cucumber,onion,tomato,chat masala raitha...

Well Im planning to cook the same on Jan24 or Jan 25 or Jan 26 08 when my MIL is gonna go to Kancheepuram & I have to cook for my hubby :p...Poor San...:p

Subha learns to cook
But not from a book

Made a note of every point
From her MIL words of anoint

Hopes to cook someday
with least or zero dismay

Her MIL being an angel
Subha has no problem to gel

Sooner she would cook the best
For her love & the rest

No comments:

Post a Comment